Monday, September 1, 2014

"We Are Family"

In March when we met with Dr. Anderson, we sent an email to our families and some of our closest friends explaining Dade's diagnosis and just exactly what this road may/may not entail.  Through friends of friends, I heard from another CDH Mom who lives in South Carolina.  Being a "Carolina girl" myself, somehow that immediately made her even more special to me and I felt an instant connection from her first email.  She was so cautious and left the ball in my court for me to respond when/if I was interested.  She knew that this road can be a little much and she didn't want to bombard me.  I began to read her blog and got more familiar with their story.  Her son was a CDH baby and is now two years old. Hes beautiful, smart, funny, and their "wild card," she says.  She shared how she wanted to support us, pray for us, and answer any questions that we had.  To be honest, I probably dove in too fast.  I wasn't quite ready for all of her answers or what reality looked like with this condition we were facing, but I was so glad to finally be talking to someone that not only knew how we felt, but they had lived through it, and succeeded! She gave me hope.

We emailed weekly for several months and then sent frequent texts or messages on Facebook.  When Dade arrived, Id ask questions or share with her my saddest/scariest moments. I still do, daily.  Its been the biggest relief to have her to text whenever I need another Mom who has "been there and done that."  After I had been talking to my Carolina friend, Rose, I started talking with Kelly who was not only a CDH Mom, but had been at our same hospital with the same surgeon.  The biggest thing to remember with CDH is that no case is identical.  Their stories were very different from each other and Dade's is different from theirs.  It is still helpful to ask questions about what to do as a parent, what this looks like down the road, and even right now as we are on the ventilator.  Both of their sons have been a beacon of hope.

This network of CDH parents and children is NOT one that you look forward to joining, but we are so grateful for the knowledge and support from them.  Both of these mothers and CDH survivors have now come to visit us and have brought us much encouragement.  Kelly and her son came to visit Children's Hospital a few weeks ago.  Kelly was able to see Dade and we were able to all hug.  We went to lunch together and had such a special visit.  Both of these little boys were big fans of "Mr. DJ!"  After texting with Rose this week, she learned that Birmingham wasn't as far as she thought and immediately started planning a trip to see us.  In a day or two, she surprised us with saying that not only was she coming, she was bringing her wonderful husband and children.  DJ and I were elated and couldn't believe they'd take their Labor Day weekend to come to see us and meet Dade.  When Rose got here yesterday, I hugged her so tight and couldn't believe that this friend that I've talked to for months had found her way to our family to love and support.  She said that she and her husband truly felt like God telling them to come visit us and help us through this.  DJ and I have met both of these families recently, but they feel like family to us.  I have texted Kelly at 2am and she answers immediately.  Rose asks me daily what to pray for specifically. She enjoys running and has committed to praying for Dade during her runs.

We had the joy of having dinner with Rose and her family last night and breakfast before they headed back to South Carolina today.  DJ and I got in the car with tears in our eyes.  We were so humbled by their visit and blessed to have them in our lives. We miss them already!  It was also helpful for DJ to have another Dad to talk to that had been in his shoes.  Brian was so supportive and I know will be there for DJ as we continue going through the trenches. We keep wondering and asking God to show us what we are supposed to learn and gain from this experience. We hope we can be an encouragement to other families! Here is Rose, her family, and Kelly with her son, Hollis. Their little boys are Rock Stars in our eyes!




1 comment:

  1. These are special women. Rose helped me keep my sanity through our CDH journey as well. So glad you have such wonderful support!
    ~Leslie Helms

    ReplyDelete